The official rules of the game can be found in the document Spel- en wedstrijdreglement van de KNDB.
A youth version is made available on Damz, the KNDB youth website.
Draughts training can be found at Dammentor.
Rules of the game:
- Put the checkerboard this way that the leftbelow corner field is a dark field. On the dark fields will be played.
- White starts and makes the first move.
- A piece is moved one square diagonally forward.
- One can strike forward and backward.
- A piece on the other side of the checkerboard becomes a king. Note: a passing by of the promition line during a strike does not result in a promotion.
- A king can move more fields diagonally forward and backward.
- A king can strike forward and backward. You do not have to stop the king behind the beaten last piece.
- Striking is mandatory.
- Striking of the most pieces is mandatory.
- Striking with a king does not go before striking with a piece.
- Only after the complete strike you can remove the beaten pieces from the board.
- While striking you can not pass the same piece twice. However you can pass two times the same empty field.
- Touching a piece means moving that piece: if you touch a king or piece with which you can make a legal move, you have to move with that piece.
- If your opponent makes a move that breaches the rules (for example, he forgets to strike, or strikes to little pieces), it is sporting to confront him and tell him to restore the previous situation. But you can also continue playing.
- The player who can do no more moves, loses the game.
- If no one can win, then it is a draw (tie). Note: it can be a draw if you and your opponent do not have the same number of pieces!